Today we will discuss two hardware wallets that are similar in some aspects and different in other ways. They are Ellipal Titan and Ledger Nano X wallets. What makes these two wallets unique in their way? What are the similarities and differences between the two? Come with me as we get answers to these questions.
ELLIPAL TITAN VS LEDGER NANO X:HOW ARE BLUETOOTH WALLETS DIFFERENT?
Hardware or cold wallets store cryptocurrencies offline with no connection to the Internet as your private keys, or seed phrases are stored safely in a hardware device.
However, the Bluetooth wallet is another form of cold wallet that uses a wireless connection to perform transactions. Despite using a wireless connection, Bluetooth hardware wallets are highly secure. Only public data is transferred via Bluetooth. The seed phrase or keys that authorise transactions remain secured in the hardware device.
Ellipal released a hardware wallet (cold wallet) similar to a smartphone in shape and structure. The name of this wallet is “Titan”. It’s a metallic wallet that has no connection to the internet, be it through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or any other means that connects a device to the Internet.
Ellipal Titan hardware wallet is similar to a smartphone in shape/structure with a 3.97 inches colour touch screen with high sensitivity, an inbuilt camera built with aluminium alloy, which makes it dust and water-resistant, and a 1400 Mah battery that lasts up to 250 hours.
Ledger Nano X has the shape of a USB flash drive with an OLED screen, 100 Mah battery capacity, USB A & C cord, a keychain strap, and it’s 34 kg in weight, making it very lightweight and portable.
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF ELLIPAL TITAN VS LEDGER NANO X?
EASE OF SETTING UP THE WALLETS
HOW DO YOU SET UP A ELLIPAL TITAN
To set up an Ellipal Titan, follow these few steps:
- For new users, purchase the device from a store or order it online from Amazon, Aliexpress, e.t.c.
- Power the device by pressing the power button situated beside the hardware device.
- On powering up, you will see a lot of languages. Choose the one applicable to you.
- Next, the screen will pop up a QR code with a short write-up telling you to download the mobile app.
- Download the mobile app on your smartphone.
- Come back to the device and press next
- Now you will see three options, namely ‘Create an account’, ‘Import an account’, and ‘recover numeric phrases’.
- Select ‘Create an account’.
- Next, create a name for the account, then enter your preferred password twice.
- Following that, choose how the account is to function, either as a Bitcoin, general or SegWit
- You also have the choice to use a passphrase or not.
- After that, tap “create an account”.
- It’s necessary to backup your numeric phrase, a 12-word long character.
- You can also write your seed phrase in a secure external space like a book.
- Next, verify.
- Your account is ready.
HOW DO YOU SET UP A LEDGER NANO X
Follow these few steps to set up your Ledger Nano X:
- To set up your wallet, you need a few things, a Ledger Nano X device, an iOS 9 device or an Android 7 smartphone, windows 8.1, macOS, and Linux.
- To purchase your Nano X device, it’s always safer to buy from the company rather than a third party.
- Visit Ledger.com to buy a Ledger Nano X wallet
- Now power your device.
- Next, generate a pin code and a 24-word seed phrase.
- As simple as that, your wallet is ready for a transaction.
SECURITY: LEDGER NANO X VS ELLIPAL TITAN
This is a feature on Ledger Nano X that protects it from hackers. A chip that provides an added layer of security and prevents sensitive information from being hijacked by fraudsters.
Because of this feature, changes can never occur on your wallet without your authorisation. So even if your wallet is hacked, which is highly unlikely, the hacker can’t have access to your funds.
Unfortunately, this feature is not available on Ellipal Titan.
BIOMETRIC AND PHYSICAL VERIFICATION
Ellipal Titan uses a patterned pin to secure the device; however, it doesn’t include a biometric verification like fingerprints. Similarly, Ledger Nano X doesn’t have this feature. Instead, it uses a pin and password for security.
ANTI TAMPERING PROTECTION
The Ellipal Titan has a secure aluminium alloy casing, making it hard to tamper with it and not damage the device totally, thereby losing all the information inside. Once the device detects tampering, it automatically deletes every sensitive data that can threaten the account’s security.
Ledger Nano X on the other hand, was not built with aluminium and did not have the resistance available on Ellipal Titan. But it does have an anti-tamper mechanism built in.
Ledger Nano X uses a Bluetooth wireless connection for transactions. To connect your Ledger Nano X via Bluetooth, you need to visit the Ledger live app to pair your phone with the hardware device. To confirm the pairing of your mobile phone and the hardware wallet, you will receive a code.
Once it matches, your device will pair to your phone via Bluetooth. However, your device location needs to be on for it to pair successfully.
You can also disable the connection by powering your Ledger Nano X. Tapping the control buttons at once, navigate to the Bluetooth option. Once you are there, press the control buttons to disable your Bluetooth, disconnecting your device from your phone.
Ellipal Titan, on the other hand, is a cold wallet with no connection whatsoever with the internet, be it through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
The two devices have commendable battery life. Ellipal Titan has a battery capacity of 1400 mah with a battery life of about 259 hours. Ledger Nano X, on the other hand, has a battery capacity of 100mah. It can work for long hours when in use but last some months when not used with a full charge.
SEND AND RECEIVE CRYPTO
STEPS TO SEND AND RECEIVE CRYPTO ON ELLIPAL TITAN
- To send crypto, log in to your Ellipal mobile app, tap ‘assets’ on the home screen.
- Select the token you want to send, click on the send option.
- Now enter the amount, the recipient address, or QR code.
- Check the miner’s fees rate and press submit.
- The app will generate an unsigned QR code.
- Now turn on your Ellipal Titan, select the currency you chose in your mobile app.
- Select the ‘send’ option
- Enter your password. Once confirmed, the hardware device camera will activate
- Use it to scan the code on your mobile app.
- A security notification will pop up press confirm
- Next, cross-check the details and press “ok.”
- It will generate another QR code on your Ellipal Titan wallet.
- Use your mobile phone to scan the code and complete the transaction.
The steps to receive a token are similar. All you need to do is:
- Power your Ellipal Titan wallet
- Select the crypto token you want to receive
- Press the receive option beside it to generate your receiving QR code
- Send the code to the person who wants to credit your account. You can also use the share option at the top of the screen to share the QR code link with your sender.
STEPS TO SEND AND RECEIVE CRYPTO ON LEDGER NANO X
- To send crypto from Ledger Nano X
- Visit Ledger live app
- Select ‘send’ on the homepage
- Search the currency you want to send, select it.
- Enter the receiver’s address and the amount to send
- Next, choose network fees, then click ‘continue’
- Verify the transaction.
- Now connect your Ledger Nano X
- Use the control buttons on the device to search for the app of the currency you want to send
- Press continue
- Verify the transaction details.
- Now tap the control buttons to accept and send. It’s as simple as that.
- You can also track your transaction till your recipient confirms it.
Now to receive crypto, follow these steps:
- Visit Ledger live app
- Select ‘receive’ on the homepage
- Choose the currency you want to receive
- Press ‘continue’
- Next, connect your Ledger Nano X
- Search for the app of the money on the device using the navigation buttons
- Click the control buttons once to select the currency
- Next, your receiving address will popup on your Ledger live app
- Copy it and send it to your crypto sender.
- You can also make use of your QR code.
CONVENIENCE: ELLIPAL TITAN VS LEDGER NANO X
No doubt they are both portable, but Ledger Nano X has more portability compared to Ellipal Titan. It has a lighter weight and a much smaller shape, which can fit almost anywhere.
Ledger Nano X has a battery capacity of 100 may that can last several hours when fully charged. And when it’s not in use but fully charged, it can last some months. This device can also last up to 5 years.
However, the Ellipal Titan has a battery capacity of 1400 mAh with a battery life of 259 hours. Built with aluminium alloy and also has IP65 water and dust resistance, the Ellipal Titan can function for as long as humanly possible as far as it’s treated with care and not rough handled.
Ledger Nano X on the other hand supports over 1100 cryptocurrencies; some examples of cryptocurrencies supported are Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tron, Litecoin. Also, Ledger Nano X accepts ERC-20 coins willing to be listed on the Hardware.
Ellipal Titan has a 4-inch colour touch screen with high sensitivity and excellent graphics. On the other hand, Ledger Nano X has a screen resolution of 128×64. We can see that Ellipal Titan has a larger screen than Ledger Nano X.
ELLIPAL TITAN APP VS LEDGER APP
ELLIPAL TITAN APP
This app manages cryptocurrencies, and with it, you can trade and exchange cryptocurrencies. It’s connected to the Ellipal Titan hardware wallet, where all your cryptocurrencies will store. This app is available on the Google play store and App store for download on iOS and Android phones.
LEDGER LIVE APP
It is an app that manages Ledger hardware devices like Ledger Nano X, Ledger Nano S. You can send, receive, swap, stake over 1800 cryptocurrencies, including Litecoin and Bitcoin, on this app.
Through this article, we have compared and contrasted the difference and similarities between the Ellipal Titan Hardware wallet and the Ledger Nano X Bluetooth Hardware wallet. Now it’s left to you to know which one suits you more and go for it.
CaptainAltcoin's writers and guest post authors may or may not have a vested interest in any of the mentioned projects and businesses. None of the content on CaptainAltcoin is investment advice nor is it a replacement for advice from a certified financial planner. The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of CaptainAltcoin.com