D’Cent Wallet Review – Is It Safe & How To Use It?
So, you’ve done your research and have decided on which cryptocurrency you want to hold either for the medium or long term. The next thing on the agenda is to choose where you will store your assets till you’re ready to sell or utilize them in other ways. The time has now come for you to select a wallet.
Unfortunately, knowing which wallet is best for you can be very confusing as there are many options with varied features. One of those options is the D’cent wallet. In this article, we will engage in a qualitative analysis of the D’cent wallet, weighing its pros and cons so that you can make a well-informed decision about whether or not it’s meant for you. Are you ready? Let’s start.
WHAT IS D’CENT WALLET?
The D’cent wallet is a hardware wallet that sets itself a class apart from the rest by offering a built-in fingerprint sensor and dedicated security chip for enhanced security and privacy. It was developed in South Korea by IoTrust in 2018. The device features an OLED display and is portable. In addition, the D’cent wallet also has companion applications on the Google and Apple play stores.
WHAT COINS DOES THE D’CENT WALLET SUPPORT?
At the time of writing, D’cent wallet supports over 1200 different cryptocurrencies, with the prominent ones being Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether(USDT), Ripple(XRP), among others. They also have an interesting feature on their website in which users can suggest more coins to be added to the wallet. It supports ERC-20, RRC-20, and RRF tokens.
The hardware wallet doesn’t actually store the crypto assets. It merely saves your private keys and all other account information connected to the owner of the wallet. The crypto-assets themselves exist on the blockchain network and are only accessed by the software application when needed.
HOW MUCH DOES THE D’CENT WALLET COST?
The standard cost of the D’cent wallet is around 119 dollars. You may be able to get it cheaper, perhaps because of a promotion or special offer, but it’s likely going to be time-limited. Quality is essential when shopping for this wallet to get a wallet that has not been compromised by initial use.
HOW TO USE D’CENT WALLET
- HOW TO CREATE A NEW WALLET:
- Press and hold the power button for three seconds to switch on the device.
- Click on the OK button after choosing your language. (Supported languages are English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Spanish).
- From the menu, select ‘Create Wallet’. Your new wallet will be created.
- You will be prompted to enter your PIN. Enter your 4 to 8 digits pin and press the OK button.
- Verify your pin.
- Register your fingerprint by touching the fingerprint sensor with your finger.
- Verify Fingerprint.
- Write down the recovery seeds(24 words from 6 lists).
- Verify that you have written down your recovery seeds.
- Your wallet is ready!
- HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING WALLET:
- First, reset your wallet by clicking ‘Device Wipe.’
- Select your language.
- Click on ‘Recover Wallet’.
- Register and verify your PIN and fingerprint as outlined above.
- You’ll need to enter the recovery words for the wallet you want to import.
- At the bottom of the review menu, click ‘I am ready’.
- Your wallet has been successfully imported.
PHYSICAL APPEARANCE OF THE D’CENT WALLET
- The D’cent wallet has a neat and savvy design that pleases the eye.
- It’s portable and comes with easy packaging.
- It has a plastic covering that’s fitted with a metal base.
- It has Bluetooth connectivity.
- There is also a USB port through which users can connect to their personal computers. A USB cable comes with the device.
- The biometric wallet comes with an a585-mAdurable battery which can be charged with the included USB cable. The charging time is around 30 minutes.
- It has an OLED display screen of 128 by 128 pixels – large enough to view and perform transactions.
- It has four scroll-wheel buttons that provide easy navigation on the wallet interface.
- It has a fingerprint sensor placed in-between the four buttons.
The D’cent wallet prides itself as the first hardware wallet with a biometric feature and the best so far. The biometric feature adds another layer of protection to the wallet and facilitates convenient and fast transaction signing.
The hardware wallet allows a user to try the fingerprint scanner up to five times. Any attempt beyond that, the device will ask for your PIN. If you enter the PIN 10 times incorrectly, the device will automatically wipe itself and delete all stored information.
The D’cent wallet allows users to register up to two fingerprints on the biometric interface. Thus, even in the event of an untimely death of the user, the family members can have access to such funds if one of them is enrolled as the second fingerprint. When assigning the second fingerprint, care must be taken since it also can send coins.
D’CENT WALLET support private key generation.
PAIRING THE D’CENT WALLET WITH A SMARTPHONE
The D’cent biometric wallet can be connected through Bluetooth to both Android and iOS phones. Take note that you need to download the mobile app on Apple or Google play store after pairing your phone with the wallet.
However, you don’t need a mobile phone to use D’cent wallet.
To connect the wallet with Android phones, follow these steps:
- Power on your device and sign in with your fingerprint.
- Select ‘Setting’.
- Select ‘Bluetooth’.
- Select ‘Android’.
- The screen will display the device name and password.
- Go to the BlueTooth menu of your phone and use the provided password to connect to the D’cent biometric wallet.
- You have now successfully paired your devices.
To connect the wallet with an iOS phone, follow these steps:
- Download the D’cent app and install it.
- Enable Bluetooth settings on your iPhone.
- In your D’cent mobile app, select the Bluetooth button on the top right corner of the screen under the main account.
- Bluetooth devices will be listed. Locate and select your D’cent device.
- Wait for some time until the Bluetooth icon switches from red to mint-green
- Your devices are now synchronized.
- Best crypto hardware wallets
- Best bitcoin wallets
- Best cryptocurrency wallets
- Trezor model T review
- Ledger Nano X review
- KeepKey wallet review
- CoolWallet S review
- Archos Safe T Mini review
- MetaMask Wallet Review
- SafePal S1 Review
- Ellipal Titan Review
D’CENT MOBILE APP
The D’cent mobile app manages three wallets: the biometric wallet, the Card type wallet, and the software wallet, and is available for download on the Google play store and the Apple store. It requires an iOS 11.0 or higher operating system for Apple devices and Android 6.0(Marshmallow) or higher for Android devices.
HOW TO RECEIVE COINS FROM EXCHANGES ON THE D’CENT WALLET
Using the biometric wallet:
- Select the coin account from the main screen and press the OK button.
- Click OK twice to see the QR code’s address.
- With the sender’s camera, scan the QR code.
- The address should be automatically inserted into the sender’s wallet.
Using the Mobile app:
- Click on your coin account in the mobile app.
- Your account address is displayed as a QR code when you click ‘receive’.
- Click ‘Copy’ or ‘Share’ to share your address in hex form.
HOW TO SEND COINS FROM D’CENT WALLET TO OTHER EXCHANGES
Using the biometric wallet
- Connect your wallet with your mobile app.
- From the mobile app, press ‘Send’, enter the recipient’s address, and press ‘Next’.
- Enter the amount of crypto you’d like to send.
- Set the fee for each transaction. Generally, the higher your payment, the faster your transaction will be processed.
- Click ‘Next’ and then ‘Send’.
- Confirm the transaction information on your biometric wallet again and press the OK button.
- Scan your fingerprint or enter your PIN for final approval.
- Well done! You’ve successfully sent tokens from your biometric wallet.
Using your card wallet
- Repeat steps 2-5 from above.
- Enter the password for your card wallet. Be careful here, as the card will be permanently blocked after ten wrong entries.
- When prompted, tag the card wallet on the RFID reader at the back of your phone.
- When the transaction is successful, you will be notified.
Using your software wallet
- This is the easiest but least secure among the three.
- Follow steps one outline above.
- Enter the 6-digit password you’ve set to protect access to your mobile app.
- That’s all!
IS THE D’CENT WALLET SECURE?
The D’cent wallet comes with a number of top-notch security features. Let us consider some of them:
- It comes with a biometric fingerprint scanner with which one can unlock the wallet and transact freely. This feature makes it superior to other hardware wallets such as Trezor, Ledger, etc.
- It comes with a secure element certified as EAL+. A security rating of this level protects against penetration testing. It’s the kind of secure chip technology that’s used in credit and debit cards.
- In addition to the high level of security mentioned above, the wallet also comes with a custom-designed operating system that guards against all sorts of malicious software.
- It doesn’t transmit the private keys over Bluetooth. Thus, even if hackers use the BlueTooth connectivity as an attack vector, they would not be able to siphon any valuable data.
CAN YOU STAKE COINS ON THE D’CENT WALLET?
Yes, you can. The D’cent wallet offers an in-built browser from which you can gain access to decentralized exchanges and applications that offer unique features like staking. From the DApp browser, you can access applications on the Ethereum, Polygon, RSK, Klayton, Tron, and Binance smart chains.
There are also some testnet services accessible from the browser. You can use the DApp service by clicking the ‘Discovery’ tab at the app’s bottom menu.
Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. If you’re going to get involved in the world of cryptocurrencies, you need to find a good way to store your crypto assets. D’cent wallet is one of the best out there. Is it the wallet for you? We hope this article has answered that question.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- It offers top-notch security, combining the effectiveness of hardware wallets with an added layer of biometric protection
- It is easily upgradable
- It comes with a durable battery.
- It has an easy recovery process in case of lost, stolen or wiped wallets.
- Even in the case of untimely death, family members can still have access to the deceased’s wallet through the secondary fingerprint record.
- Compared to other hardware wallets, it’s pretty expensive.
- It is limited in the number of cryptocurrencies it currently supports.
- The plastic body it comes in makes it quite fragile compared to other hardware wallets.
CaptainAltcoin's writers and guest post authors may or may not have a vested interest in any of the mentioned projects and businesses. None of the content on CaptainAltcoin is investment advice nor is it a replacement for advice from a certified financial planner. The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of CaptainAltcoin.com